Papua New Guinea Netball News

Forums

Forum Home > Rules of the Game > Stepping in the game of netball

Near the Hoop
Site Owner

Can someone please explain the stepping rule in simple english for me to understand.  It is confusing when there are so many different interpretations by different umpires on the application of this rule.

January 10, 2011 at 4:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Petrides

Umpires should not have different intepretations to the actual rules of the game which are pretty straightforward (well I think so at least)

Under Rule 14: Footwork from the Officlal Rules of Netball under Section 3 Conduct of the Game  

states

" 14,1     A player may receive the ball with one foot grounded, or jump to catch and land on one foot, and then:-

(i) step with the other foot in any direction, lift the landing foot and throw or shoot before this foot is regrounded;

(ii) step with the other foot in any direction any number of times, pivoting on the landing foot. The pivoting foot may be lifted but the player must throw or shoot before regrounding it;

(iii) iump from the landing foot onto the other foot and jump again but must throw the ball or shoot before regrounding either foot;

(iv) step with the other foot and jump but must throw the ball or shoot before regrounding either foot,

14.2 A player may receive the ball while both feet are grounded, or jump to catch and land on both feet simultaneously and then: -

(i) step with either foot in any direction, lift the other foot and throw or shoot before this foot is regrounded;

(ii) step with either foot in any direction any number of times pivoting on the other, The pivoting foot may be lifted but the player must throw or shoot before regrounding it;

(iii) jump from both feet onto either foot, but must throw or shoot before regrounding the other foot;

(iv) step with either foot and jump but must throw the ball or shoot before regrounding either foot,

14,3 A player in possession of the ball may not: -

(i) drag or slide the landing foot;

(ii) hop on either foot;

(iii) iump from both feet and land on both feet unless the ball has been released before landinq.

PENALTY for Rule 14

Free Pass to the opposing team where the infringement occurred."

Also bearing in mind that the 3 second rule needs to be applied during the above

To get a better understanding of the above rules, I'd suggest reading out  the rule and doing a practical application - it will all make sense as you work your way through it. 

If umpires are doing something other than above, then they may not properly understand the rule. 

--
January 13, 2011 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.